The M. Hulot blog has moved to our new website! Please click here or visit mhulot.co.uk/blog.

Made in (northern) England

9/19/2012 01:05:00 pm










Although far from London, when I found a factory in greater Manchester willing and able to make my bags and leather goods, I was over the moon. For part of my childhood I lived in Warrington,  so just the idea of journeys up North was enough to fill me with excitable nostalgia.

Now manufacturing in England is no mean feat, but to find a factory that listens to the demands of a small scale label is very rare, and in our Northern factory we have found just that.

There are so many elements that go into making a bag: from cutting out the pieces (sometimes done by hand and sometimes with a cookie like cutter) to stitching, buffing the edges, painting the edges, drying and packing to name a few. All require a certain amount of skill and hand finishing. I love that you can see the workmanship of M.Hulot bags, even in their finished state.

This is what makes the bags unique and gives them an edge and artisan quality that is impossible to replicate when mass produced.

Although not without it's challenges, my last trip to oversee the AW12 production, was filled with delight at seeing the styles going through and completed. Wrapped up in all things technical, I just about managed to take a few snaps to share with you.

Look out for future manufacturing posts to gain an insight into the wonderful world of leather working...

A

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Thanks for the comment on my blog! Love behind the scenes glimpses like this. Your bags look like they are beautifully made and wonderful quality.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images